Milonga/Concert locations

See the map of the locations below here!

The milonga locations include:
  • Dance Theatre Tee Kuubis (T3) studio (Kreutzwaldi 24, 3rd floor) - wooden floor

About the place - Straight in the Centre of Old Tallinn, on Town Hall Square

Hopner House with a beautiful architecture and noble history, is situated in the heart of Tallinn’s Old Town, at the Town Hall Square. In Tallinn’s history the honourable house was first mentioned in 1352. Through the centuries the house has been a place of trade and living quarters for bürgermeisters, aldermen and merchants. 

The current form of the house dates back to the 17th century, when the owner was merchant Johan Hopner. To his honour, the house carries his name today. The house is one of the best preserved examples of medieval residential buildings in Tallinn. The first part of the complex of buildings, formerly known as Matkamaja, was built more than 700 years ago as a tower house. "A register of the owners of the shops built next to the tower house was kept from 1352," says Head of Tallinn City Centre Aini Härm. "Merchant Johan Hopner bought the tower house in 1662, and he also acquired the shop in 1665."

About the place - Roadside inn from 19th century

The inn with one stable located on the road from Tallinn to Tartu was built in 1840s. It was brought to the museum from Kolu village in Kose parish, Harju County in 1968. Nowadays it's a perfect place to rest one's feet and taste national dishes.

Manors started building inns on major roads as early as in the Middle Ages. They would sell products of their own distilleries and offer night’s lodging and food to travellers. Farmers would listen to news brought by people passing through, engage in trade and hire workers. Most inns were closed down in 1900 after the state had established a monopoly on selling spirits.

Estonian rural life for centuries revolved around the church, the inn, and later, the school. The church, the inn and the mill were always open for everyone.

No later than in the 15th century, manor owners started building wooden inns that sold beer and spirits and provided night’s lodging if necessary. By the end of the 17th century a network of inns was developed on the Swedish authorities’ request. Almost every manor, including church manors, had an inn and made profit selling its own peer and spirits. Within the Russian Empire, manors that were recovering from the losses of war and adopted a more and more luxurious lifestyle, needed income that could not be provided by the traditional selling of grain, so in 1770s–1780s the more cost-effective spirits production and the construction of inns, which were wooden at first, became more extensive.

Instead of the latter, numerous inns with stone stables or made entirely of stone were built in the 1st half of the 19th century, but their floor plan was the same: a large hall, the masters’ chamber, the innkeeper’s dwelling, the front room with a counter, the pantry and the stable. The hall stove was heated through the kitchen located in the centre, where the innkeeper’s wife cooked on the open hearth.

Inns on major roads sometimes had two stables on both ends (because the masters’ and peasants’ horses must not be kept together!) and several masters’ chambers for the better sort of people. Inns on roads of local significance had one stable and one masters’ chamber meant for well-off craftsmen and farmers. Kolu Inn is one of the latter type.

About the place

The warehouse complex on Lootsi Street is a remainder of the good times of Tallinn trading port – in the second half of the 19th century. The warehouses that were built between the 1870s and I World War are known as Girard and Koch Storehouses, named after their original owners, Baron Girard de Soucanton and large merchant Koch.
 
The old buildings, retaining the history of the previous century, have been renovated to a modern tavern, coffee shop and shopping and service centre.
 
At the heart of tavern “Kochi Aidad” there is a small brewery, which uses the best German and Czech equipment chosen by the most acclaimed Estonian brewer master, Enn Kärblane. Lagering and serving tanks used have been prepared by Czech, and kettles by German masters. The chosen control automation is the best by Allen-Bradley Compact Logix. Of course, these best technological solutions, knowledge and equipment enable to brew the best beer at Koch brewery! 
The visitors of the tavern may follow the whole beer brewing process from start to finish.
 If so required, one may take a personal brewing course to acquire a Koch brewer diploma.
 
Koch Coffee Room offers its visitors fresh pies and cakes baked at the tavern, also a selection of "heartier" dishes. To compliment the pastries of Koch bakers, different coffee drinks and a rich selection of wines is offered, which can be enjoyed while viewing the gallery exhibition(s) at the café. On the second floor of Koch Coffee Room, there is Koch Wine Room, where one may get to know and enjoy exclusive wines that the sommeliers have selected from all over the world.

Tango Port Tallinn 2014 locations